This pumpkin custard recipe makes a great lower carb paleo alternative to pumpkin pie. It’s really decadent while also a nutrient dense, healthy dessert treat. The custard still has a similar consistency to the “meat” of pumpkin pie, without the crust – though it’s lighter, fluffier and more silky.
Paleo Pumpkin Custard
Servings: 6-8 ramekins (either 6 or 8 ounce size)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45
1-15oz canned organic puree pumpkin (or 2 cups fresh roasted pumpkin, sugar pie pumpkins have best flavor)
4 large eggs (use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks*)
½ cup full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup organic maple syrup, or coconut sugar, or Lakanto’s Monkfruit no-sugar alternative sweetener
3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (plus extra for dusting)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon Celtic or Himalayan sea salt
Optional: coconut cream for “whipped cream” and chunks of dark chocolate
- In a food processor combine pumpkin puree, and eggs (just enough, don’t overmix)
- Pulse in coconut milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg, ginger and salt
- Place empty ramekins into a deep cookie sheet or baking pan
- Pour filling into ceramic ramekins until almost full (leave about 10% empty space for rising)
- Pour boiling water around the ramekins in baking dish, try to cover at least ¼ ideally ½ of the height of your ramekins
- Lightly dust top of each filled ramekin with nutmeg
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife or toothpick comes out relatively clean
- Allow to cool then refrigerate for 2 hours to set up
For whipped cream alternative: Take a can of coconut cream (not milk) and chill it for at least a few hours, overnight ideal. Whip it until frothy, like you would regular whipped cream. Doesn’t take as long to whip. Add in a small amount of vanilla before whipping as desired.
To roast your own pumpkin: Buy a small sugar pie pumpkin. Cut it in half. Scoop out seeds. Turn them face down on cookie sheet and bake for approx. 1 hour at 350 degrees. You want the pumpkin flesh to be very soft.
Please fill in the form and submit to subscribe.